Sunday, June 5, 2011

redbox summer.

We're friends, you and I. And the thing about friends is, they talk about stuff.
So here it is. 
The paved surface below my feet is a refreshing change from that of the rest of the Mike Klauck Subdivision. The smoothness is, admittedly, a little disorienting; after being thrown and flipped for the better part of the day, I can't help but anticipate some hazard looming on the horizon. So, I'm anxious. Each foot is placed with heightened uncertainty as I feel increasingly more sure that the ground will suddenly fall from beneath my feet. I'm scared because I don't know what to expect next - I just can't be positive. I'm alone for a week, to fend for myself. I have friends I forgot I had. I have discovered a new part of myself, and I'm a little unsettled with the freeness, but I'm following myself back home. I'm on my own, and I can't wait for my support to be back home. But what do I know?

Yet another blog post I've wanted to come across for a while, and haven't gotten too.
It's just funny to me. I know it's a common theme to my posts, but things are changing. I don't have children of my own yet of course, but I'm starting to see what my parents went through while they were raising me and it makes me really, really, really appreciate them. More than I already do. Yeah, they denied me candy bars when checking out at Allen's. Yeah, I was disappointed and pouted the whole way home. But you know what? That was good for me. I needed that. It's got to be difficult to say no to your kid (and I'm sure that my parents lost lots of sleep over it. Haha), but I understand why it needs to be done. Sometimes "no" hurts, but it's the right answer in the long run. Some things just have to be denied so all things are not expected. 

That said, we all need limitations and restraints if we are expected to become civilized adults.

No comments: